Any clues or educated comment please?

Can the corrupt directory tree safely be ignored and left in place? Or
might that cause everything to fall over in a big heap as soon as I try
to write data again?

Could these other tricks work-around or fix the corrupt tree:

Run a scrub?

Make a snapshot and work from the snapshot?

Or try "mount -o recovery,noatime" again?

Or is it dead?

(The 1.5TB of backup data is replicated elsewhere but it would be good
to rescue this version rather than completely redo from scratch.
Especially so for the sake of just a few MBytes of one corrupt directory
tree.)

Thanks,
Martin