On 2014/01/05 11:17 PM, Sulla wrote:
Certainly: I have 3 HDDs, all of which WD20EARS.
Maybe/maybe-not off-topic:
Poor hardware performance, though not necessarily the root cause, can be a major factor with these errors.

WD Greens (Reds too, for that matter) have poor non-sequential performance. An educated guess I'd say there's a 15% chance this is a major factor to the problem and, perhaps, a 60% chance it is merely a "small contributor" to the problem. Greens are aimed at consumers wanting high capacity and a low pricepoint. The result is poor performance. See footnote * re my experience.

My general recommendation (use cases vary of course) is to install a tiny SSD (60GB, for example) just for the OS. It is typically cheaper than the larger drives and will be *much* faster. WD Greens and Reds have good *sequential* throughput but comparatively abysmal random throughput even in comparison to regular non-SSD consumer drives.

*
I had 8x 1.5TB WD1500EARS drives in an mdRAID5 array. With it I had a single 250GB IDE disk for the OS. When the very old IDE disk inevitably died, I decided to use a spare 1.5TB drive for the OS. Performance was bad enough that I simply bought my first SSD the same week.