On 2014/01/06 12:57 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
Did you align your partitions to accommodate for the 4K sector of the EARS?
I had, yes. I had to do a lot of research to get the array working "optimally". I didn't need to repartition the spare so this carried over to its being used as an OS disk.

I actually lost the "Green" array twice - and learned some valuable lessons:

1. I had an 8-port SCSI card which was dropping the disks due to the timeout issue mentioned by Chris. That caused the first array failure. Technically all the data was on the disks - but temporarily irrecoverable as disks were constantly being dropped. I made a mistake during ddrescue which simultaneously destroyed two disks' data, meaning that the recovery operation was finally for nought. The only consolation was that I had very little data at the time and none of it was irreplaceable.

2. After replacing the SCSI card with two 4-port SATA cards, a few months later I still had a double-failure (the second failure being during the RAID5 rebuild). This time it was only due to bad disks and a lack of scrubbing/early warning - clearly my own fault.

Having learnt these lessons, I'm now a big fan of scrubbing and backups. ;)

I'm also pushing for RAID15 wherever data is mission-critical. I simply don't "trust" the reliability of disks any more and I also better understand how, by having more and/or larger disks in a RAID5/6 array, the overall reliability of that array array plummets.