On Jan 30, 2014, at 4:53 AM, Johan Kröckel <johan.kroec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [As I said, to the best of my (non-dev btrfs user and list regular)
> knowledge, mount -o degraded,rw should work.]
>
> No, it doesnt.
> Syslog says: "Jan 30 12:44:02 fortknox kernel: [756677.795661] Btrfs:
> too many missing devices, writeable mount is not allowed"

Is this encrypted Btrfs volume used for rootfs? Or is it only for data?  If
it's only for data, then make sure the volume (all subvolumes) are umounted,
then mount with this:

-o degraded,recovery,skip_balance

Do you still get too many missing devices message?

Vaguely related questions (for everyone) are:

- If this is rootfs, by default grub options mount ro. So when we use
rootflags=degraded,recovery that's effectively -o ro,degraded,recovery. Upon
fstab being read, rootfs is remounted rw. Does the previous
ro,degraded,recovery repair get written to the volume upon fstab remount rw?

This is somewhat important to understand, and whether the grub default of ro
mount, and the remount rw switch at fstab time is sufficiently detecting and
repairing Btrfs problems (with and without rootflags=recovery).

- Is an online conversion from profile X to profile Y expected to work when the
volume is mounted degraded? If it's not expected to work, or isn't a good idea,
then maybe balance needs to be disabled on degraded mounts?

Chris Murphy