On Jan 30, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:33:21AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Johan Kröckel <johan.kroec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My situation:
>>>
>>> Former btrfs-RAID1 on two luks encrypted partitions (bunkerA and bunkerB).
>>> Disk holding bunkerB died online.
>>> Now I started rebalancing bunkerA to single,
>>

>> You're doing an online conversion of a degraded raid1 volume into single?
>> Does anyone know if this is expected or intended to work?
>
>   I don't see why not. One suggested method of recovering RAID from a
> degraded situation is to rebalance over just the remaining devices
> (space permitting, of course).

Right but that's not a conversion. That's a regular balance on a degraded
mount, with multiple remaining devices: e.g. a 4 disk raid1, drive fails, mount
-o degraded, delete missing, then balance will replicate any missing 2nd copies
onto three drives.

The bigger problem at the moment is that -o degraded isn't working for Johan.
The too many missing devices message seems like a bug and with limited
information it may even be whatever that bug is, that cause the conversion to
fail. Some 11GB were converted prior to the failure.

Chris Murphy