I wrote:

> They could just as well go in a directory called .snapshots, off hand I'm not
> thinking of an advantage of putting snapshots into a subvolume.

There isn't an advantage with a top level 5 subvolume being used for rootfs.
But if it's not being mounted, rather other named subvolumes are, then the
advantage of a subvolume for snapshots is that it can be independently mounted
to provide access to all snapshots within from which to create derivative
snapshots. And it can also have a nosuid or noexec mount option to prevent old
vulnerabilities from being root executable.

Chris Murphy