Yes it's an ancient 32 bit machine.  There must be a complex bug involved as
the system, when originally mounted, claimed the correct free space and only as
used over time did the discrepancy between used and free grow.  I'm afraid I
chose btrfs because it appeared capable of breaking the 16 tera limit on a 32
bit system.  If this isn't the case then it's incredible that I've been using
this file system for about a year without difficulty until now.

-Justin

Sent from my iPad