On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 08:58:14PM +0100, Filipe David Borba Manana wrote:
> The fallocate send stream command, added in stream version 2, is used to
> pre-allocate space for files and punch file holes. This change implements
> the callback for that new command, using the fallocate function from the
> standard C library to carry out the specified action (allocate file space
> or punch a file hole).

> +-a::
> +Use fallocate to pre-allocate file extents and to punch file holes, instead
> of writing zeroes
> +to files.

(I wrote that in another mail and repeat it again in the context of the patch)

for v2 the fallocate mode should be default and IMHO not configurable by
a flag at all - falloc is efficient and the (right) thing that the devs
choose for the user.

I think that letting the user decide if he should use falloc or not is
too low-level. From the UI perspective, specifying a protocol number
should be enough.

There's currently no way to find the highest protocol version supported,
but the sysfs flags can be enhanced with that.