Well, I'm using a source based distro - ever heard of CRUX - http://crux.nu/ ?

> Then see /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> but the defaults should work
>
> Running update-grub2 should give you something like this:
>                 echo    'Loading Linux 3.12.7-amd64-i915-preempt-20131107 ...'
>                 linux   /vmlinuz-3.12.7-amd64-i915-preempt-20131107
> root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot ro rootflags=subvol=root
> cryptopts=source=/dev/sda4,keyscript=/sbin/cryptgetpw,discard
> usbcore.autosuspend=1 pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6 =7
> i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.semaphores=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
> acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
>                 echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
>                 initrd  /initrd.img-3.12.7-amd64-i915-preempt-20131107

Never got to understand GRUB2 inner workings... so I keep to what works for me
- GRUB Legacy here!

> > > You don't have to build a
> > > new kernel or make btrfs a module, just mounting a working initrd
> > > and then trying this again with userland tools will help debug.
> > > (alternatively, rescue boot media with your kernel would work too,
> > > but that's likely more work to build than an initrd)
> >
> > Not more work - just replaced the kernel on the setup/rescue media with
> mine and the result is the same - see attached image file.
>
> That's not what I meant, I meant a rescue media that boots another
> filesystem than you root filesystem.
> Then from there, you can use normal userland tools to manually mount your
> root filesystem and/or see errors.
>
> Marc
> --
> "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
> Microsoft is to operating systems ....
>                                       .... what McDonalds is to gourmet
> cooking Home page:
> http://marc.merlins.org/

I'm trying to boot into the rescue media's environment with my own kernel, but
it fails now that my monolithic kernel has no support for initrd whatsoever (or
something else missing)!
I guess I’ll leave this testing for tomorrow - getting tired and sleepy now...
Thanks!