Duncan <1i5t5.duncan <at> cox.net> writes:

> Plus, either way you can report back the results and then we'll
know
> whether it's safe to recommend btrfs check for the next report,
or not.
> =:^)

Well this is just bloody brilliant.

I did btrfs check --repair with from integration and a bunch of
fixes on this list applied. Failed at the same assert, but
otherwise left the partition unchanged, ie. mountable.

So as planned, thinking I have a relatively fresh backup of the
whole partition (via partclone.btrfs), I go on restoring it to
get rid of the errors.

partclone does its thing, the restored partition mounts, text
files are properly readable (!) and btrfs check reports no
errors.

Then on reboot, the kernel (residing on another partition)
instantly crashes: "Input/Output error".

Turns out that when I try to run any binary from the restored
partition (via LiveCD), *every* *single* *one* fails with this
remarkably expressive error. If I manually replace one with a
fresh download, I get a SIGBUS crash instead.

Oh, and upon accessing any of said binaries, dmesg prints a BTRFS
info that csum failed. But only for binaries.

Yay. No idea how to proceed from here, but I guess this might not
necessarily be related to btrfs. Certainly doesn't make me want
to recommend it in the foreseeable future, though.