On 2014/05/05 02:56 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 09:07:55AM +0200, Brendan Hide wrote:
On 2014/05/04 02:47 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
Is there any functional difference between

mount -o subvol=usr /dev/sda1 /usr
and
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/btrfs_pool
mount -o bind /mnt/btrfs_pool/usr /usr

?

Thanks,
Marc
There are two "issues" with this.
1) There will be a *very* small performance penalty (negligible, really)
Oh, really, it's slower to mount the device directly? Not that I really
care, but that's unexpected.

Um ... the penalty is if you're mounting indirectly. ;)
2) Old snapshots and other supposedly-hidden subvolumes will be
accessible under /mnt/btrfs_pool. This is a minor security concern
(which of course may not concern you, depending on your use-case).
There are a few similar minor security concerns - the
recently-highlighted issue with old snapshots is the potential that
old vulnerable binaries within a snapshot are still accessible
and/or executable.
That's a fair point. I can of course make that mountpoint 0700, but it's
a valid concern in some cases (not for me though).

So thanks for confirming my understanding, it sounds like both are valid
and if you're already mounting the main pool like I am, that's the
easiest way.

Thanks,
Marc
All good. :)