Brendan Hide posted on Mon, 05 May 2014 23:47:17 +0200 as excerpted:

>> At the moment, we have two chunk allocation strategies: "dup" and
>> "spread" (for want of a better word; not to be confused with the
>> ssd_spread mount option, which is a whole different kettle of borscht).
>> The dup allocation strategy is currently only available for 2c
>> replication, and only on single-device filesystems. When a filesystem
>> with dup allocation has a second device added to it, it's automatically
>> upgraded to spread.
>
> I thought this step was manual - but okay! :)

AFAIK, the /allocator/ automatically updates to "spread" when a second
device is added.  That is, assuming previous dup metadata on a single
device, adding a device will cause new allocations to be in raid1/spread
mode, instead of dup.

What's manual, however, is that /existing/ chunk allocations don't get
automatically updated.  For that, a balance must be done.  But existing
allocations are by definition already allocated, so the chunk allocator
doesn't do anything with them.  (A rebalance allocates new chunks,
rewriting the contents of the old chunks into the new ones before
unmapping the now unused old chunks, so again, existing chunks stay where
they are until unmapped, it's the NEW chunks that get mapped by the
updated allocation policy.)