Am Dienstag, 5. August 2014, 14:58:34 schrieb Clemens Eisserer:
> Hi Russel,
>
> > The Debian installer has BTRFS in a list of filesystems to choose with no
> > special notice about it.  I'm thinking of filing a Debian bug requesting
> > that they put a warning against it.
>
> As long as it is not selected as the default filesystem, I think it is fine.
> Other distributions have been offering btrfs for some time now, too.

For example SLES 11 SP 2. A Linux training VM image I developed some slides
about implementing an OpenLDAP server in SLES with on the next day was totally
broke:

- no space left on device
- snapper created tons of snapshots
- yet in df -h still 2 GB free
- rm on a logfile returned no space left on device
- btrfs subvol delete returned no space left on device
- I think I also tried btrfs balance with no space left on device, but I am
not 100% sure

At that time I just created a snapshot of the broken state and returned to a
previous snapshot to have the VM fixed.

And note: This is on a distro that has enterprise support for using BTRFS on
root filesystem – while using a 3.0 kernel, with hopefully some… but apparently
not enough backports.

Granted, still it would be nice to to add a warning to Debian.

Better still would be just to have stability fixes for the hangs go into 3.16-
stable and thus also into Debian Jessie.