A long time back there was an attempt to remove it but
 this avoided it. Pls ref to the link in this discussion.

 https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg27272.html

Thanks, Anand

On 08/21/2014 06:21 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
btrfs fileystem show and btrfs device scan today both have
the "-d" option to scan everything under /dev.  But we also
have a mechanism to scan everything in /proc/partitions, which
should always be sufficient.

If anyone knows why we'd find something deep under /dev but
not in /proc/partitions, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Tested this by running through a matrix of -d, -m, or "" args
for show/scan, for a 2-device fs, with and without a symlinked
device, with and without a symlinked mountpoint.  All output was
identical.

Thanks,
-Eric