On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 22:57:25 +0100
Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 11:49:10PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Ok, now I'm in the bad state again (after running a 'make allmodconfig'
> > kernel build:
> >
> > Label: none  uuid: 1d88cccb-3d0e-42d9-8252-a226dc5c2e47
> >         Total devices 1 FS bytes used 8.79GB
> >         devid    1 size 67.14GB used 67.14GB path /dev/sdc6
>
>    All the space on the FS has been allocated to some purpose or other.
>
> > Data: total=65.11GB, used=7.99GB
>
>    Here, you have 65 GiB allocated to data, but only 8 GiB of that
> used. The FS won't automatically free up any of that (yet -- it's one
> of the project ideas).

If you find yourself constantly running into this situation, rather than
incorporating periodical btrfs 'balances' into your scripts, you could consider
going with the "mixed" allocation mode of the FS, using the -M option of mkfs.

Seeing as this is not the largest-sized partition in the world in the first
place, the mixed mode would allow for a more efficient and flexible space
allocation on it; at the cost of some performance penalty (you could compare
your compilation times, but I don't think it's too significant).

--
With respect,
Roman