On 2014-10-21 11:34, Cristian Falcas wrote:
I will start investigating how can we build our own rpms from the 3.16
sources. Until then we are stuck with the ones from the official repos
or elrepo. Which means 3.10 is the latest for el6. We used this until
now and seems we where lucky enough to not hit anything bad.

IIRC there is a make target in the kernel sources that generates the appropriate RPM's for you, although doing so from mainline won't get you any of the patches from Oracle that they use in el.
We upgraded to 3.17 because we use ceph on the machine with openstack
and on the ceph site they recommended >3.14. And because we need
writable snapshots, we are forced to use btrfs under ceph.

Thank you all for your advice.