On 2014-10-21 21:10, Robert White wrote:

I don't think balance will _ever_ move the contents of a read only
snapshot. I could be wrong. I think you just end up with an endlessly
fragmented storage space and balance has to take each chunk and search
for someplace else it might better fit. Which explains why it took so long.

And just _forget_ single-extent large files at that point.

(Of course I could be wrong about the "never move" rule, but that would
just make the checksums on the potentially hundreds or thousands of
references need to be recalculated after a move, which would make
incremental send/receive unfathomable.)

Balance doesn't do anything different for snapshots from what it does with regular data. I think you are confusing balance with defragmentation, as that does (in theory) handle snapshots differently. Balance just takes all of the blocks selected by the filters, and sends the through the block allocator again, and then updates the metadata to point to the new blocks. It can result in some fragmentation, but usually only for files bigger than about 256M, and even then doesn't always cause fragmentation