On 2014-10-21 16:44, Arnaud Kapp wrote:
Hello,

I would like to ask if the balance time is related to the number of
snapshot or if this is related only to data (or both).

I currently have about 4TB of data and around 5k snapshots. I'm thinking
of going raid1 instead of single. From the numbers I see this seems
totally impossible as it would take *way* too long.

Would destroying snapshots (those are hourly snapshots to prevent stupid
error to happens, like `rm my_important_file`) help?

Should I reconsider moving to raid1 because of the time it would take?

Sorry if I'm somehow hijacking this thread, but it seemed related :)

Thanks,

The issue is the snapshots, because I regularly fully re-balance my home directory on my desktop which is ~150GB on a BTRFS raid10 setup with only 3 or 4 snapshots (I only do daily snapshots, cause anything I need finer granularity on I have under git), and that takes only about 2 or 3 hours depending on how many empty chunks I have.

I would remove the snapshots, and also start keeping fewer of them (5k hourly snapshots is more than six months worth of file versions), and then run the balance. I would also suggest converting data by itself first, and then converting metadata, as converting data chunks will require re-writing large parts of the metadata.