On Oct 25, 2014, at 2:33 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> First of all: does grub2 support booting from a btrfs file system with
>> skinny-metadata, or is it irrelevant?
>
> Seems plausible if older kernels don't understand skinny-metadata, that GRUB2
> won't either. So I just tested it with grub2-2.02-0.8.fc21 and it works. I'm
> surprised, actually.

I don't understand the nature of the incompatibility with older kernels. Can
they not mount a Btrfs volume even as ro? If so then I'd expect GRUB to have a
problem, so I'm going to guess that maybe a 3.9 or older kernel could ro mount
a Btrfs volume with skinny extents and the incompatibility is writing.

Chris Murphy--