On 2014/11/18 14:08, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
[snip] there are some parts of the drive that aren't covered by SMART
attributes on most disks, most notably the on-drive cache. There really isn't a
way to disable the read cache on the drive, but you can disable write-caching.
Its an old and replaceable disk - but if the cable replacement doesn't work I'll try this for kicks. :)
The other thing I would suggest trying is a different data cable to the drive
itself, I've had issues with some SATA cables (the cheap red ones you get in
the retail packaging for some hard disks in particular) having either bad
connectors, or bad strain-reliefs, and failing after only a few hundred hours
of use.
Thanks. I'll try this first. :)