Brendan Hide posted on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 15:24:48 +0200 as excerpted:

> In this case, yup, its directly to the motherboard chipset's built-in
> ports. This is a very old desktop, and the other 3 disks don't have any
> issues. I'm checking out the alternative pointed out by Austin.
>
> SATA-relevant lspci output:
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family)
> SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)

I guess your definition of _very_ old desktop, and mine, are _very_
different.

* A quick check of wikipedia says the ICH10 wasn't even
/introduced/ until 2008 (the wiki link for the 82801jo/do points to an
Intel page, which says it was launched Q3-2008), and it would have been
some time after that, likely 2009, that you actually purchased the
machine.

2009 is five years ago, middle-aged yes, arguably old, but _very_ old,
not so much in this day and age of longer system replace cycles.

* It has SATA, not IDE/PATA.

* It was PCIE 1.1, not PCI-X or PCI and AGP, and DEFINITELY not ISA bus,
with or without VLB!

* It has USB 2.0 ports, not USB 1.1, and not only serial/parallel/ps2,
and DEFINITELY not an AT keyboard.

* It has Gigabit Ethernet, not simply Fast Ethernet or just Ethernet, and
DEFINITELY Ethernet not token-ring.

* It already has Intel Virtualization technology and HD audio instead of
AC97 or earlier.

Now I can certainly imagine and "old" desktop having most of these, but
you said _very_ old, not simply old, and _very_ old to me would mean PATA/
USB-1/AGP/PCI/FastEthernet with AC97 audio or earlier and no
virtualization.  64-bit would be questionable as well.

FWIW, I've been playing minitube/youtube C64 music the last few days.
Martin Galway, etc.  Now C64 really _IS_ _very_ old!

Also FWIW, "only" a couple years ago now (well, about three,
time flies!), my old 2003 vintage original 3-digit Opteron based mobo
died due to bulging/burst capacitors, after serving me 8 years.  I was
shooting for a full decade but didn't quite make it...

So indeed, 2009 vintage system, five years, definitely not _very_ old,
arguably not even "old", more like middle-aged. =:^)