On 22 November 2014 at 23:26, Marc MERLIN <m...@merlins.org> wrote:

> This one hurts my brain every time I think about it :)

I'm new to Btrfs so I may very well be wrong, since I haven't really
read up on it. :-)

> So, the bigger the -dusage number, the more work btrfs has to do.

Agreed.

> -dusage=0 does almost nothing
> -dusage=100 effectively rebalances everything

And -dusage=0 effectively reclaims empty chunks, right?

> But saying saying "less than 95% full" for -dusage=95 would mean
> rebalancing everything that isn't almost full,

But isn't that what rebalance does? Rewriting chunks <=95% full to
completely full chunks and effectively defragmenting chunks and most
likely reduce the number of chunks.

A -dusage=0 rebalance reduced my number of chunks from 1173 to 998 and
dev_item.bytes_used went from 1593466421248 to 1491460947968.

> Now, just to be sure, if I'm getting this right, if your filesystem is
> 55% full, you could rebalance all blocks that have less than 55% space
> free, and use -dusage=55

I realize that I interpret the usage parameter as operating on blocks
(chunks? are they the same in this case?) that are <= 55% full while
you interpret it as <= 55% free.

Which is correct?