On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:05:04AM +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > Which is correct?
>
>    Less than or equal to 55% full.

This confuses me. Does that mean that the fullest blocks do not get
rebalanced?
I guess I was under the mistaken impression that the more data you had the
more you could be out of balance.

>    A chunk is the part of a block group that lives on one device, so
> in RAID-1, every block group is precisely two chunks; in RAID-0, every
> block group is 2 or more chunks, up to the number of devices in the
> FS. A chunk is usually 1 GiB in size for data and 250 MiB for
> metadata, but can be smaller under some circumstances.

Right. So, why would you rebalance empty chunks or near empty chunks?
Don't you want to rebalance almost full chunks first, and work you way to
less and less full as needed?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....