John Williams wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Alex Elsayed <eternal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Why not just use the kernel crypto API? Then the user can just specify
>> any hash the kernel supports.
>
> One reason is that crytographic hashes are an order of magnitude
> slower than the fastest non-cryptographic hashes. And for filesystem
> checksums, I do not see a need for crypotgraphic hashes.

I'd suggest looking more closely at the crypto api section of menuconfig -
it already has crc32c, among others. Just because it's called the "crypto
api" doesn't mean it only has cryptographically-strong algorithms. As a side
benefit, if someone implements (say) SipHash for it, then not only could
btrfs benefit, but also all other users of the API, including (now)
userspace.

The crypto api also has compression, for zlib/lzo/lz4/lz4hc, but I'm given
to understand that btrfs' usage of compression doesn't match well to that
API.