On 12/30/14 10:03 PM, Wang Shilong wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> I have a well tested and working fine Centos5-Xen system.
>> Accumulated cruft from various development efforts make it
>> desirable to redo the install. Currently a RAID-10 ext4 filesystem
>> with LVM and 750G of storage. There's a hot spare 750 drive in the
>> system.
>>
>> I'm thinking of migrating the web sites (almost the only use of the
>> server) to a spare then installing Centos-7 and btrfs, then
>> migrating the sites back.
>>
>> I see RH marks btrfs in C7 as a technology preview but don't
>> understand what that implies for future support and a suitably
>> stable basis for storage.

Red Hat's statement on tech preview is here (I sure hope it doesn't
require a login ...)  https://access.redhat.com/support/offerings/techpreview

>> The demand on the system is low and not likely to change in the
>> near future, storage access speeds are not likely to be
>> dealbreakers and it would be nice to not need to use LVM, btrfs
>> seems to have a better feature set and more intuitive command set.
>> But I'm uncertain about stability. Anyone have an opinion?
>
> I used CentOS7 btrfs myself, just doing some tests..it crashed easily.
> I don’t know how much efforts that Redhat do on btrfs for 7 series.

RHEL7.0 GA (released last May) has btrfs kernel code from v3.13.
RHEL7.1 will have btrfs code from around v3.16.

The stability of btrfs in RHEL7 releases depends heavily on the
maturity and stability of upstream btrfs at the time of the release.

IOWS, if btrfs around v3.13 crashed easily; there is nothing magical
in RHEL7.0 to fix that.  ;)

-Eric