Thanks Chris.

Everything is/was raid6.  Oddly when I created the filesystem there
was a mix of raid1 and raid6 but a balance dconvert mconvert after
creation set everything to raid6.

I did previously try a btrfs-image as I found that as a "first thing
to do" through some google searching but that command won't run with
essentially the same errors (additional "device is missing errors now"
but this is otherwise identical to what I saw before).

I'm happy to help post a bug report but can I still provide actionable
information without btrfs-image working?

[root@san01 btrfs-progs]# ./btrfs-image -c9 -t4 /dev/sdc /mnt2/backup/sdc.img
warning, device 4 is missing
warning devid 4 not found already
checksum verify failed on 21364736 found EC809498 wanted 0863292E
checksum verify failed on 21364736 found 925303CE wanted 09150E74
checksum verify failed on 21364736 found 925303CE wanted 09150E74
bytenr mismatch, want=21364736, have=1065943040
Couldn't read chunk tree
Open ctree failed
create failed (Bad file descriptor)

So after the chunk-recover failed I postulated that there may be some
correlation with the read of /dev/sdg stopping early.  I say early
because the other 4 drives of the same capacity continued reading for
quite some time.

So I tested a dd of sdg to a file, and after it ran for about 2 hours
it stopped prematurely after 700 some-odd gigs and left some errors in
the logs (I'll just tack them on the end of the email for the
curious).

At this point I decided sdg was done and couldn't be doing any help
while installed so I yanked it out.  Still unable to mount, I
rebooted.  Unfortunately I am still unable to mount after the reboot
(and I tried again just now with all the options you posted, no dice),
so I am running the chunk-recover command again.

That would be neat if I can somehow contribute!

Thanks again,
Donald

Here's the drive vomiting in my logs after it got halfway through the
dd image attempt.

Jul  1 17:05:51 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] FAILED Result:
hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Jul  1 17:05:51 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] Sense Key : Medium
Error [current]
Jul  1 17:05:51 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] Add. Sense:
Unrecovered read error
Jul  1 17:05:51 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] CDB: Read(10) 28 00 5a
5b f1 e0 00 01 00 00
Jul  1 17:05:51 san01 kernel: blk_update_request: critical medium
error, dev sdg, sector 1515975136
Jul  1 17:05:57 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] FAILED Result:
hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Jul  1 17:05:57 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] Sense Key : Medium
Error [current]
Jul  1 17:05:57 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] Add. Sense:
Unrecovered read error
Jul  1 17:05:57 san01 kernel: sd 0:0:6:0: [sdg] CDB: Read(10) 28 00 5a
5b f2 e0 00 01 00 00