Unfortunately btrfs image fails with "couldn't read chunk tree".

btrfs restore complains that every device is missing except the one
that you specify on executing the command.  Multiple devices as a
parameter isn't an option.  Specifcy /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid> claims
that all devices are missing.

I went ahead and dropped the drive that dmesg is still complaining
about.  Mounting still fails, so I'm going to try to rescue chunk-tree
again (for science!).

If anybody has any other ideas to try or data to gather/methods to
gather them as a case study for any devs please let me know.  I'll
assemble all the data that I know how to and follow that link Chris
suggested for filing a bug.