In my research, I've found btrbk and btrfs-sxbackup certainly to be
the leading contenders in terms of feature completeness. sanoid [1]
will be another interesting possibility once btrfs compatibility is
added (currently zfs only).

I just wish I'd discovered all these before I went to all the effort
of creating snazzer [1] :)

I've been meaning to split some stuff out of snazzer that might be
generically useful to other folks, such as filesystem cloning of all
subvols/snapshots via send/receive, and it seems as if it should be
possible to automatically prune any idiosyncratic snapshot naming
convention - I just haven't found the time to write unit tests.

[1] https://github.com/jimsalterjrs/sanoid
[2] https://github.com/csirac2/snazzer