On 2015-08-18 11:10, Timothy Normand Miller wrote:
I ran the following command.  It spent a lot of time creating a
1672450048 byte file.  Then it stopped writing to the file and started
using 100% CPU.  It's currently doing no I/O, and it's been doing that
for a while now.  Is that supposed to happen?

Not normally, I've seen this happen sometimes before for a short period when it hits a group of blocks that don't compress well, but that usually goes away after a few seconds. I think this is probably a bug. However, it isn't unusual for a big filesystem to have a really small image produced if it contains mostly big files (btrfs-image just copies the metadata, not the actual file data, so even without compression, it usually will take up less space than the filesystem being imaged).