On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 03:04:38PM -0400, Vincent Olivier wrote:
> > On Sep 16, 2015, at 2:22 PM, Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferro...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> But can the “nobarrier” mount option affect performances negatively for
> >> Btrfs (and not only data integrity)?
> > Using it improves performance for every filesystem on Linux that supports
> > it.  This does not mean that it is _EVER_ a good idea to do so.  This mount
> > option is one of the few things on my list of things that I will _NEVER_
> > personally provide support to people for, because it almost guarantees that
> > you will lose data if the system dies unexpectedly (even if it's for a
> > reason other than power loss).
>
> OK fine. Let it be clearer then (on the Btrfs wiki): nobarrier is an absolute
> no go. Case closed.

Sometimes it is useful to make an ephemeral filesystem, i.e. a btrfs on a
dm-crypt device with a random key that is not stored.  This configuration
intentionally and completely destroys the entire filesystem, and all
data on it, in the event of a power failure.  It's useful for things like
temporary table storage, where ramfs is too small, swap-backed tmpfs is
too slow, and/or there is a requirement that the data not be persisted
across reboots.

In other words, nobarrier is for a little better performance when you
already want to _intentionally_ destroy your filesystem on power failure.