On 2015-09-22 14:35, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Austin S Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's not a bad idea, except that it changes established usage, and there are
probably some people out there who depend on the current behavior. If we do
go that way, mount needs to spit out a big obnoxious warning (as in, not
through dmesg or mount options, but directly on stderr) if the filesystem
gets mounted degraded automatically.

Definitely there needs to be a user space message. Even now when
trying to mount a volume with a missing device without -o degraded the
generic fs type unrecognized message is misleading.
I agree that it's confusing for many users, but from the point of view of someone who's been doing system administration for a few years, the 'or incorrect mount options' bit does kind of make sense given the context.