covici posted on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:29:27 -0400 as excerpted:

> Thanks, in the ext4 world, I have lvm and lots of things using separate
> lvm's.  I don't want to go back to partitions, if btrfs is that fragile,
> maybe I should waita while yet.  Or, I could use lvm and put btrfs on
> top of that, but it seems strange to me.

Taking the larger picture perspective, I'd suggest that while btrfs
arguably isn't "that fragile" if you're willing to work with it, it most
definitely is of a status I characterize as "stabilizing, but not yet
fully stable or mature", and as such, isn't likely to be the best choice
for people who just want "sufficiently stable that I don't have to mess
with it or worry about it", particularly if they're also the type that
prefer to run "enterprise stable" or "debian stable" grade distros, which
are, to put it mildly, not known for the up-to-dateness of the versions
of various packages they ship.  If that's a description of your comfort
zone, then there's a basic incompatibility between your comfort zone and
btrfs' current state, and btrfs probably isn't the right choice for you
at this point.

In which case, ext3/4, reiserfs (my old favorite, which I had very good
experience with even with not so reliable hardware), xfs, or possibly zfs
if you need the features and are willing to put the money into the
hardware it requires for stability, are more mature and arguably
appropriate choices.

I had in mind to say something about the big-picture like that in an
earlier reply, but forgot...