Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:33:56 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Zygo Blaxell
> <ce3g8...@umail.furryterror.org> wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't describe dedup+defrag as unsafe.  More like insane.  You
>> won't lose any data, but running both will waste a lot of time and
>> power. Either one is OK without the other, or applied to
>> non-overlapping sets of files, but they are operations with opposite
>> results.
>
> That is probably why I disabled it then.  I now recall past discussion
> that defragging a file wasn't snapshot-aware, though I thought that was
> fixed.

Well, snapshot-aware defrag was indeed released... in 3.9 IIRC (it's on
the wiki)...

Unfortunately, it didn't scale well /at/ /all/, as in spending half a day
defragging just a handful of blocks. (Worst-case was many thousands of
snapshots, with quotas enabled -- and this was back before the
scalability work and quota code rewrites, so it was really **REALLY**
bad!!111, and could be more like a day on a single block!)

Obviously that simply didn't work /at/ /all/, so in ordered to have a
defrag that was at least semi-usable, snapshot awareness was disabled
again, making things /so/ much simpler, but of course dramatically
increasing the possible downsides of actually running defrag.

The disabling was in 3.12, IIRC, so defrag was only snapshot-aware for
three kernel cycles, about seven months' worth of current development.

Since then defrag's snapshot-awareness has remained disabled, tho AFAIK
the plan remains to enable it again, if/when the devs are satisfied that
they've made the code efficient and scalable enough that it's still going
to be actually runnable in practical time, into (I'd say) 5-digits worth
of snapshots, anyway.  But that's going to necessarily involve stable
quota code, and the quota code has been a continued problem tho there's
some hope that it's coming together now, so it's anyone's guess when even
the quota-code prerequisite is complete, let along if/when the
scalability will then be reasonable enough, or if more work will still
need to be done there... or if it'll _ever_ be practical to turn it back
on.