Hi Austin,
seek times are fine, but this literally freezes my computer for a
split second. I've had to re-type this email twice because the freezes
meant letters I typed would not arrive on the screen.
USB disks are so common they should not be having issues.
I have 4.3.0-040300rc7-generic #201510260712 which is just three days old.

Please advise. Isn't it better to *not* use a vm to debug this?
BTW, if we are talking about slow speed making things worse, I could
try downgrading the cable to usb2.
Is there a standard virtualbox VM that I could use?
I'll download Gentoo in the meantime. I have never used it. I'm
getting the "minimal installation cd" from 29th september.
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20150929/install-x86-minimal-20150929.iso