Christoph Anton Mitterer posted on Sat, 12 Dec 2015 03:32:57 +0100 as
excerpted:

> [B]etter said I largely rewrote:
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SysadminGuide#Subvolumes
> which I think should rather be its own wiki article.
>
> One of the devs/experts... please double check it and pick/drop what
> you like/dislike.

I'd hesitate to call myself a real "expert" on subvolumes because I don't
run them here (tho I did play with them a bit, before deciding the
additional benefit for my use-case wasn't worth the additional
complexity), so nearly all of what I post on the subject is simply
restatement of other people's posts on the subject[1], but...

Looks quite reasonable to me... and /much/ more filled out than the last
time I read it. =:^)

> Especially notice that I've changed what was in the wiki, namely
> subvolid=0 would mount the toplevel subovl,... I changed that to 5.

On that particular point, subvolid=0 is a special-case alias to
subvolid=5, for those for which 0 as reference to the toplevel subvolume
makes more sense than 5.

So 0 or 5, doesn't particularly matter in practice.  Tho 5 is the actual
tree ID (AFAIK) with 0 simply an alias to it, so 5 is arguably
technically slightly more correct, while 0 could be argued to be humanly
slightly more correct as the logical/expected ID for the toplevel
subvolume.

You might put that there too, somewhere, if you have a mind to do it...

> Also I assumed the manpage would be correct and subvol= is always
> relative to the top level subvol, thus subvol=/ should mount that.

Haven't the foggiest...

> What's still missing now, IMHO, is:
> - the snapshots subchapter itself is not complete (especially ro vs. rw
> snapshots)... and implications like not mounting snapshots noatime, and
> write amplification effects

Yes.

> - a guide when one should make subvole (e.g. keeping things on the root
> fs together, unless it's separate like /var/www is usually, but
> /var/lib typically "corresponds" to a state of /etc and /usr.

I see you added that (as mentioned in a followup).  Looks good.

> - what I've asked in another mail,.. about subvols and mountopts.
>
> That rework also contains your security idea... shamelessly not quoting
> you there O:-)

That looks good too... tho to be fair that too was simply reposting
someone else's idea... which was both *entirely* new to me when I read it
as I'd simply not considered that before, and equally immediately obvious
in hindsight, which is why it stuck with me so well, because the
combination of entirely new viewpoint on something and "Duh, he's
absolutely right and I should have seen it myself" tends to /be/ pretty
memorable! =:^)

Anyway, glad it's mentioned on the wiki, now. =:^)

---
[1] No claim of subvolume expert: And also because I've a bit of the
sysadmin's healthy superstition of ever claiming to be an expert until
it's so clearly the case it's becoming ridiculous to try to claim
otherwise, since if there's the slightest doubt, Murphy will surely see/
hear and assert his law shortly thereafter, demonstrating the fallacy of
the claim, likely with a brown-bag level error! =:^\  Of course, without
anything but the toplevel subvolumes here, that might make the unwary
sysadmin unwisely bold, but lest I be unpleasantly reminded of the fact
that the top-level's a subvolume too, I'm still wary of tempting either
Murphy or fate with such a claim of expertise! =:^\