On Sat, 2015-11-28 at 06:49 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Christoph Anton Mitterer posted on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 04:57:05 +0100 as
> excerpted:
> > Still, specifically for snapshots that's a bit unhandy, as one
> > typically
> > doesn't mount each of them... one rather mount e.g. the top level
> > subvol
> > and has a subdir snapshots there...
> > So perhaps the idea of having snapshots that are per se noatime is
> > still
> > not too bad.
> Read-only snapshots?
So you basically mean that ro snapshots won't have their atime updated
even without noatime?
Well I guess that was anyway the recent behaviour of Linux filesystems,
and only very old UNIX systems updated the atime even when the fs was
set ro.

> That'd do it, and of course you can toggle the read-
> only property (see btrfs property and its btrfs-property manpage).
Sure, but then it would still be nice for rw snapshots.

I guess what I probably actually want is the ability to set noatime as
a property.
I'll add that in a "feature request" on the project ideas wiki.

> Alternatively, mount the toplevel subvol read-only or noatime on one
> mountpoint, and bind-mount it read-write or whatever other
> appropriate
Well it's of course somehow possible... but that seems a bit ugly to
me... the best IMHO, would really be if one could set a property on
snapshots that marks them noatime.

Cheers,
Chris.