Just noting that I left things till I put a 4.4 kernel on (4.4.3 as it
turns out) and now convert is going much nicer.

Well it's still got some silly thing where the newly allocated blocks
are mostly empty. It appears that the convert likes to take the 1Gig
RAID1 block and write it to a new RAID5 block (6x1Gig=5Gig capacity).
Meaning that the disks are likely to hit full during the convert. To
avoid that I'm looping a convert with a block limit with a balance to
target those blocks. The balance is pretty quick, but it does slow the
process down.