Thanks for that info, ram appears to be checking out fine and smartctl
reported that the drives are old but one had some form of elevated
error. Looks like I might be buying a new drive.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Gareth Pye posted on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 18:07:48 +1100 as excerpted:
>
>> Output from scrub:
>> sudo btrfs scrub start -Bd /data
>
> [Omitted no-error device reports.]
>
>> scrub device /dev/sdh (id 6) done
>>    scrub started at Wed Dec  2 07:04:08 2015 and finished after 06:47:22
>>    total bytes scrubbed: 1.09TiB with 2 errors
>>    error details: read=2
>>    corrected errors: 2, uncorrectable errors: 0, unverified errors: 30
>
> Also note those unverified errors...
>
> I have quite a bit of experience with btrfs scrub as I ran with a failing
> ssd for awhile, using btrfs scrub on the multiple btrfs raid1 filesystems
> on parallel partitions on the failing ssd and another good one to correct
> the errors and continue operations.
>
> Unverified errors are, I believe[1], errors where a metadata block
> holding checksums itself has an error, so the blocks its checksums in
> turn covered are not checksum-verified.
>
> What that means in practice is that once the first metadata block error
> has been corrected in a first scrub run, a second scrub run can now check
> the blocks that were recorded as unverified errors in the first run,
> potentially finding and hopefully fixing additional errors, tho unless
> the problem's extreme, most of the unverifieds should end up being
> correct once they can be verified, with only a few possible further
> errors found.
>
> Of course if some of these previously unverified blocks are themselves
> metadata blocks with further checksums, yet another run may be required.
>
> Fortunately, these trees are quite wide (121 items according to an old
> post from Hugo I found myself rereading a few hours ago) and thus don't
> tend to be very deep -- I think I ended up rerunning scrub four times at
> one point, before both read and unverified errors went to zero, tho
> that's on relatively small partitioned-up ssd filesystems of under 50 gig
> usable capacity (pair-raid1, 50 gig per device), so I could see terabyte-
> scale filesystems going to 6-7 levels.
>
> And, again on a btrfs raid1 with a known failing device -- several
> thousand redirected sectors by the time I gave up and btrfs replaced --
> generally each successive scrub run would return an order of magnitude or
> so fewer errors (corrected and unverified both) than the previous run,
> tho occasionally I'd hit a bad spot and the number would go up a bit in
> one run, before dropping an order of magnitude or so again on the next
> run.
>
> So with only two corrected read-errors and 30 unverified, I'd expect
> maybe another one or two corrected read-errors on a second run, and
> probably no unverifieds, in which case a third run shouldn't be necessary
> unless you just want the peace of mind of seeing that no errors found
> message.  Tho of course if you're unlucky, one of those 30 will turn out
> to be a a read error on a full 121-item metadata block, so your
> unverifieds will go up for that run, before going down again in
> [...]

Gareth Pye - blog.cerberos.id.au
Level 2 MTG Judge, Melbourne, Australia
"Dear God, I would like to file a bug report"