On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Patrik Lundquist
<patrik.lundqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 March 2016 at 20:33, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Brad Templeton <brad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am surprised to hear it said that having the mixed sizes is an odd
>> > case.
>>
>> Not odd as in wrong, just uncommon compared to other arrangements being
>> tested.
>
> I think mixed drive sizes in raid1 is a killer feature for a home NAS,
> where you replace an old smaller drive with the latest and largest
> when you need more storage.
>
> My raid1 currently consists of 6TB+3TB+3*2TB.

For the original OP situation, with chunks all filled op with extents
and devices all filled up with chunks, 'integrating' a new 6TB drive
in an 4TB+3TG+2TB raid1 array could probably be done in a bit unusual
way in order to avoid immediate balancing needs:
- 'plug-in' the 6TB
- btrfs-replace  4TB by 6TB
- btrfs fi resize max 6TB_devID
- btrfs-replace  2TB by 4TB
- btrfs fi resize max 4TB_devID
- 'unplug' the 2TB

So then there would be 2 devices with roughly 2TB space available, so
good for continued btrfs raid1 writes.

An offline variant with dd instead of btrfs-replace could also be done
(I used to do that sometimes when btrfs-replace was not implemented).
My experience is that btrfs-replace speed is roughly at max speed (so
harddisk magnetic media transferspeed) during the whole replace
process and it does in a more direct way what you actually want. So in
total mostly way faster device replace/upgrade than with the
add+delete method. And raid1 redundancy is active all the time. Of
course it means first make sure the system runs up-to-date/latest
kernel+tools.