[let me try keeping the list cc'd]

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 7:21 PM, John Marrett <jo...@zioncluster.ca> wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> Quite honestly I don't understand how Btrfs raid1 volume with two
>> missing devices even permits you to mount it degraded,rw in the first
>> place.
>
> I think you missed my previous post, it's simple, I patched the kernel
> to bypass the check for missing devices with rw mounts, I did this
> because one of my missing devices has no data on it, it's actually
> confirmed by my mounting as you can see here:

Yeah too many emails today, and I'm skimming too much.

> ubuntu@btrfs-recovery:~$ sudo btrfs filesystem show
> Label: none  uuid: 67b4821f-16e0-436d-b521-e4ab2c7d3ab7
>     Total devices 7 FS bytes used 5.47TiB
>     devid    1 size 1.81TiB used 1.71TiB path /dev/sde
>     devid    2 size 1.81TiB used 1.71TiB path /dev/sda
>     devid    3 size 1.82TiB used 1.72TiB path /dev/sdc
>     devid    4 size 1.82TiB used 1.72TiB path /dev/sdd
>     devid    5 size 2.73TiB used 2.62TiB path /dev/sdf
>     devid    6 size 2.73TiB used 2.62TiB path
>     devid    7 size 2.73TiB used 0.00 path
>
>> Anyway, maybe it's possible there's no dual missing metadata chunks,
>> although I find it hard to believe.
>
> Considering the above do you still think that I may have missing metadata?

Post 'btrfs fi usage' for the fileystem. That may give some insight
what's expected to be on all the missing drives.

>> Because there are two devices missing, I doubt this matters, but I
>> think you're better off using 'btrfs replace' for this rather than
>> 'device add' followed by 'device remove'. The two catches with
>
> I'll try btrfs replace for the second device (with data) after
> removing the first.
>
> Do you think my chances are better moving data off the array in read only
> mode?

My expectation is that whether copying everything or using replace, if
either process arrives at no metadata copies found, it's going to stop
whatever it's doing. Question is only how that manifests.

--
Chris Murphy