Am Mon, 4 Apr 2016 14:19:23 +0800
schrieb Anand Jain <anand.j...@oracle.com>:

> > Otherwise, I find "hot spare" misleading and it should be renamed.
>
>   I never thought hot spare would be narrowed to such a specifics.
[...]
>   About the naming.. the progs called it 'global spare' (device),
>   kernel calls is 'spare'. Sorry this email thread called it
>   hot spare. I should have paid little more attention here to maintain
>   consistency.
>
>   Thanks for the note.

I think that's okay. Maybe man pages / doc should put a note that
there's no copy-back and that the spare takes a permanent replacement
role.

Side note: When I started managing hardware RAIDs a few years back,
"hot spare" wasn't very clear to me, and I didn't understand why there
is a copy-back operation (given that "useless" +1x IO). But in the long
term it keeps drive arrangement at expectations - which is good.

RAID board manufacturers seem to differentiate between those two
replacement strategies - and "hot spare" always involved copy-back for
me: The spare drive automatically returns to its hot spare role. I
learned to like this strategy. It has some advantages.

You could instead assign a replacement drive - then drives will become
rearranged in the array. This is usually done by just onlining one
spare disk, start a replace action, then offline the old drive and pull
it from the array. It's not "hot" in that sense. It's been unconfigured
good. Not sure if this could be automated - I did it this way only when
the array hasn't been equipped with a spare inside the enclosure but
the drive being still in its original box. Other than that, I always
used the hot spare method.

That's why I stumbled across...

--
Regards,