On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-04-18 11:39, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
>> <ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know about the current state of the Debian installer, but I know
>>> back when I used Debian regularly and used the standard text based
>>> installer, as long as I didn't format things from the UI, I could
>>> provision
>>> the filesystems however the hell I wanted manually and point the
>>> installer
>>> at the appropriate ones for each mount point, and it worked.
>>

>> No doubt this is a catch 22. I think it's reasonable for an installer
>> to have an aging logic that allows it to be more conservative than the
>> kernel's support for compat_ro_flags and incompat_flags, and refuse to
>> install if it's not recently formatted.
>>
>> Now that I go look for this, I'm not sure what either flags offset
>> 0x38 or compat_flags offset 0xac are about.
>>
>> Also, I didn't mention that Anaconda does require root fs to be in a
>> new subvolume. It won't install to either subvolid 5, or any other
>> existing subvolume.
>>
> I'm not certain about how Debian would handle it, but I think they'll assume
> that the user knows what they're doing and just do what they say (which can
> admittedly be a very dangerous assumption sometimes).
>
> Like I said in one of my earlier e-mails though, these kind of limitations
> are part of why I switched to Gentoo, there's no GUI installer, but you can
> put the system together however the hell you want (which is especially nice
> with BTRFS, because none of the installers out there will let you use BTRFS
> on top of LVM, which is useful for things like BTRFS raid1 on top of
> DM-RAID0).

In a GUI context, the OS installer should be point and shoot to a
volume. It shouldn't care how it was built. Partitioning is a separate
thing. But in Linux land, these things get conflated, and makes them
more complicated and buggy. The result is excessive resources
maintaining and fixing them all the time.

--
Chris Murphy