On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 04:35:24PM +0200, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> When doing the btrfs check I also always do a btrfs scrub and it never found
> any error. Once it didn't manage to finish the scrub because of:
> BTRFS critical (device dm-0): corrupt leaf, slot offset bad:
> block=670597120,root=1, slot=6
> and btrfs scrub status reported "was aborted after 00:00:10".
>
> Talking about scrub I created a systemd timer to run scrub hourly and I
> noticed 2 *uncorrectable* errors suddenly appeared on my system. So I
> immediately re-run the scrub just to confirm it and then I rebooted into the
> Arch live usb and runned btrfs check: the metadata were perfect. So I runned
> btrfs scrub from the live usb and there were no errors at all! I rebooted
> into my system and runned scrub once again and the uncorrectable errors
> where really gone! It happened two times in the past few days.

That's what a RAM corruption problem looks like when you run btrfs scrub.
Maybe the RAM itself is OK, but *something* is scribbling on it.

Does the Arch live usb use the same kernel as your normal system?

> Almost no patches get applied by the Arch kernel team:
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/linux
> At the moment the only one is an harmless
> "change-default-console-loglevel.patch".

Did you try an older (or newer) kernel?  I've been running 4.5.x on a few
canary systems, but so far none of them have survived more than a day.
Contrast with 4.1.x and 4.4.x, which runs for months between reboots
for me.  Maybe there's a regression in 4.5.x, maybe I did something
wrong in my config or build, or maybe I just have too few data points
to draw any conclusions, but my data so far is telling me to stay on
4.4.x until something changes (i.e. wait for a 4.5.x stable update or
skip directly to 4.6.x).  :-/

It's always worth trying this if only to eliminate regression as a
possible root cause early.  In practice, every mainline kernel release
has a regression that affects at least one combination of config options
and hardware.  btrfs is stable enough now that you can be running one
or two releases behind to avoid a problem elsewhere in the kernel.

> Another option will be crashing it with my car's wheels hoping that because
> of my comprehensive insurance policy Dell will give me the next model (the
> Skylake one) as a replacement (hoping that it will not suffer from the same
> issue of the Broadwell one).

The first rule of Insurance Fraud Club:  don't talk about Insurance
Fraud Club.  ;)

It's possible there's a problem that affects only very specific chipsets
You seem to have eliminated RAM in isolation, but there could be a problem
in the kernel that affects only your chipset.