On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Niccolò Belli
<darkba...@linuxsystems.it> wrote:
> On venerdì 13 maggio 2016 13:35:01 CEST, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
>>
>> The fact that you're getting an OOPS involving core kernel threads
>> (kswapd) is a pretty good indication that either there's a bug elsewhere in
>> the kernel, or that something is wrong with your hardware.  it's really
>> difficult to be certain if you don't have a reliable test case though.
>

> Talking about reliable test cases, I forgot to say that I definitely found
> an interesting one. It doesn't lead to OOPS but perhaps something even more
> interesting. While running countless stress tests I tried running some games
> to stress the system in different ways. I chosed openmw (an open source
> engine for Morrowind) and I played it for a while on my second external
> monitor (while I watched at some monitoring tools on my first monitor). I
> noticed that after playing a while I *always* lose internet connection (I
> use an USB3 Gigabit Ethernet adapter). This isn't the only thing which
> happens: even if the game keeps running flawlessly and the system *seems* to
> work fine (I can drag windows, open the terminal...) lots of commands simply
> stall (for example mounting a partition, unmounting it, rebooting...). I can
> reliably reproduce it, it ALWAYS happens.

Well there are a bunch of kernel debug options. If your kernel has
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SLUB=y at compile time you can boot with boot parameter
slub_debug=1 to enable it and maybe there'll be something more
revealing about the problems you're having. More aggressive is
CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y but it'll slow things down quite noticeably.

And then there's some Btrfs debug options for compile time, and are
enabled with mount options. But I think the problem you're having
isn't specific to Btrfs or someone else would have run into it.

--
Chris Murphy