> In general, avoid Ubuntu LTS versions when dealing with BTRFS, as well as
> most enterprise distros, they all tend to back-port patches instead of using
> newer kernels, which means it's functionally impossible to provide good
> support for them here (because we can't know for sure what exactly they've
> back-ported).  I'd suggest building your own kernel if possible, with Arch
> Linux being a close second (they follow upstream very closely), followed by
> Fedora and non-LTS Ubuntu.

Then I would build my own, if that is the preferred option.

> Do not use BTRFS raid6 mode in production, it has at least 2 known serious
> bugs that may cause complete loss of the array due to a disk failure.  Both
> of these issues have as of yet unknown trigger conditions, although they do
> seem to occur more frequently with larger arrays.

Ok. No raid6.

> That said, there are other options.  If you have enough disks, you can run
> BTRFS raid1 on top of LVM or MD RAID5 or RAID6, which provides you with the
> benefits of both.
>
> Alternatively, you could use BTRFS raid1 on top of LVM or MD RAID1, which
> actually gets relatively decent performance and can provide even better
> guarantees than RAID6 would (depending on how you set it up, you can lose a
> lot more disks safely).  If you go this way, I'd suggest setting up disks in
> pairs at the lower level, and then just let BTRFS handle spanning the data
> across disks (BTRFS raid1 mode keeps exactly two copies of each block).
> While this is not quite as efficient as just doing LVM based RAID6 with a
> traditional FS on top, it's also a lot easier to handle reshaping the array
> on-line because of the device management in BTRFS itself.

Right now I only have 10TB of backup data, but this is grow when
urbackup is roled out. So maybe I could get a way with plain btrfs
raid10 for the first year, and then re-balance to raid6 when the two
bugs have been found...

is the failed disk handling in btrfs raid10 considered stable?