This is somewhat off topic but...

9.6.2016, 18.20, Duncan kirjoitti:

Are those the 8 TB SMR "archive" drives?

I haven't been following the issue very closely, but be aware that there
were serious issues with those drives a few kernels back, and that while
those issues are now fixed, the drives themselves operate rather
differently than normal drives, and simply don't work well in normal
usage.

Either the issues were not fixed or LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS3008 is incompatible with the drives (and an older model of theirs, which I don't have anymore) as well as Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05).

I haven't been able to get the disks to fail with any other load but Btrfs. However, with that they fail spectacularly. They drop out and make enough mess to corrupt things beyond repair. (See https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg55218.html for more info.)

There's a slight change that I missed some relevant kernel update. When I get new disks and can get the array fixed (it still only mounts read-only), I'll do some testing with the SMR drives. If they work, that's great, but at the moment I wouldn't buy them for Btrfs use even if the workload or environmental characteristics wouldn't be a problem.

--
     ...Elämälle vierasta toimintaa...
    Jukka Larja, roskak...@aarghimedes.fi

"Are we feeling better then?"
"I'm naming all the stars."
"You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling. Also, it's day."
"I can see them. But I've named them all the same name, and there's terrible confusion..."
- Spike & Drusilla, Buffy the Vampire Slayer -