>> So I was back to a 4-drive raid1, with 3x 6 TB drives and 1x 8 TB drive
>> (though that 8 TB drive had very little data on it). Then I tried to
>> "remove" (without "-r" this time) the 6 TB drive with the least amount
>> of data on it (one had 4.0 TiB, where the other two had 5.45 TiB each).
>> This failed after a few minutes because of "no space left on device".
>>
>> […]
>>
>> For now I avoided that by removing one of the other two (rather full) 6
>> TB drives at random, and this has been going on for the last 20 hours or
>> so. Thanks to running it in a screen I can check the progress this time
>> around, and it's doing its thing at ~41 MiB/s, or ~7 hours per TiB, on
>> average.
>
> The ENOSPC errors are likely due to the fact that the raid1 allocator
> needs _two_ devices with free space.  If your 6T devices get too full,
> even if the 8T device is nearly empty, you'll run into ENOSPC, because
> you have just one device with unallocated space and the raid1 allocator
> needs two.

I see, now this makes total sense. Two of the 6 TB drives were almost
completely full, at 5.45 used of 5.46 TiB capacity. Note to self: Maybe I
should start using the --si option to make such a condition more obvious when
mentally comparing to the advertised capacity of 6 TB (when comparing to to
5.46 TiB would have been correct)

"remove"-ing one of these almost-full-drives did finish successfully, and a
"replace" of the 3rd 6 TB drive onto a second 8 TB drive is currently in
progress (at high speed).

> btrfs device usage should help diagnose this condition, with btrfs
> filesystem show also showing the individual device space allocation but
> not as much other information as usage will.

I had mostly been using btrfs filesystem usage, thanks for the reminder about
device usage, which is easier to read in this case.

> If you run into this, you may just have to do the hardware yank and
> replace-missing thing again, yanking a 6T and replacing with an 8T.
> Don't forget the resize.  That should leave you with two devices with
> free space and thus hopefully allow normal raid1 reallocation with a
> device remove again.

Good to know. For now this doesn't seem necessary, even the other drive that
was almost completely full before looks much better now at 4.8/5.46 TiB or
5.27/6.0 TB in --si :), as some data was moved to the first 8 TB drive during
the last "remove".

So far everything is looking good, thanks very much for the help everyone.