On 2016-06-24 13:05, Steven Haigh wrote:
On 25/06/16 02:59, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
What I have in mind here is that a file seems to get CREATED when I copy
the file that crashes the system in the target directory. I'm thinking
if I 'cp -an source/ target/' that it will make this somewhat easier (it
won't overwrite the zero byte file).
You may want to try with rsync (rsync -vahogSHAXOP should get just about everything possible out of the filesystem except for some security attributes (stuff like SELinux context), and will give you nice information about progress as well). It will keep running in the face of individual read errors, and will only try each file once. It also has the advantage of showing you the transfer rate and exactly where in the directory structure you are, and handles partial copies sanely too (it's more reliable restarting an rsync transfer than a cp one that got interrupted part way through).