Just please don't take it as picking or something:

> It's a Seagate Expansion Desktop 5TB (USB3). It is probably a ST5000DM000.

this is TGMR not SMR disk:
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/desktop-hdd-fam/en-us/docs/100743772a.pdf
So it still confirms to standard record strategy ...

>> There are two types:
>> 1. SMR managed by device firmware. BTRFS sees that as a normal block
>> device … problems you get are not related to BTRFS it self …
>
> That for sure. But the way BTRFS uses/writes data could cause problems in
> conjunction with these devices still, no?
I'm sorry but I'm confused now, what "magical way of using/writing
data" you actually mean ? AFAIK btrfs sees the disk as a block device
... for example devices has a very varying sector size, which is a 512
bytes + some CRC + maybe ECC ... btrfs does not access this data,
drive does ... to be honest drives tend to lie to you continuously !
They use this ECC to magically bail out of bad sector, give you data
and silently switch to spare sector ...

Now think slowly and thoroughly about it: who would write a code (and
maintain it) for a file system that access device specific data for X
amount of vendors with each having Y amount of model specific
configurations/caveats/firmwares/protocols ... S.M.A.R.T. emerged to
give a unifying interface to device statistics ... this is how bad it
was ...

FYI,
in 2009 I was creating a product with linux that was starting from a
flash based FS ... some people required that data after 20 years would
boot up unchanged ... my answer was: "HOW", yes I could ensure a
certain files integrity in readout by checking md5, but I could not
warrant a whole FS integrity ... specially at the time when j2ffs was
only option on flash memories (yeah it had to be RW as well @#$*@#$)
... so btrfs comes along and takes away most of problems ... if you
care about your data, do some research ... if not ... maybe raiserFS
is for you :)