Hello Austin,

thanks for your reply.

Ok, thanks; So, TGMR does not say whether or not the Device is SMR or
not, right?
I'm not 100% certain about that.  Technically, the only non-firmware
difference is in the read head and the tracking.  If it were me, I'd be
listing SMR instead of TGMR on the data sheet, but I'd be more than
willing to bet that many drive manufacturers won't think like that.
While the Data-Sheet does not mention SMR and the 'Desktop' in the name
rather than 'Archive' would indicate no SMR, some reviews indicate SMR
(http://www.legitreviews.com/seagate-barracuda-st5000dm000-5tb-desktop-hard-drive-review_161241)

 Beyond that, I'm not sure,
but I believe that their 'Desktop' branding still means it's TGMR and
not SMR.

... which in the Seagate nomenclature might not exclude each other (TGMR could still be SMR). I will just ask them...
How did you find out on your drives whether they use SMR?

I'd very much suggest avoiding USB connected SMR drives though, USB is
already poorly designed for storage devices (even with USB attached
SCSI), and most of the filesystem issues I see personally (not just with
BTRFS, but any other filesystem as well) are on USB connected storage,
so I'd be very wary of adding all the potential issues with SMR drives
on top of that as well.

Understood. But I use this drive as a Backup. The Drive must not be connected to the System unless doing a backup. Otherwise a Virus, or just an issue with the power (peak due to lightning strike) might vanish both the Source data and Backup at once (single point of failure).

Greetings,
Hendrik

---